Being a working mum can be a difficult task what with having to do a balancing act between maintaining the home and doing justice to professional duties. Here are some tips to make your life as a working mum easier and more worthwhile.
1. Get paid help: Spending a little money on getting help might well be worth it, because your overall career ambitions are better met when you are free of household worries.
2. Contract out the work: Finding people to take care of your chores on a short-term contract basis might be a solution that is both flexible, and works out cheaper in the long run.
3. Be prepared for hard work: Many women give up too easily on the professional front because of the pressures on the personal front. Being prepared for a bit of hard work from the beginning will help you combat this.
4. Make a budget: If you fail to plan, you’re planning to fail. As a working mum you need to budget both your financial and other resources.
5. Earn more: How much you earn might be another important factor in determining your success as a working mother, because that might be the best way to fight the temptation and pressures to give up.
6. Choose your employer with care: When your children are still young you might need to work for someone who understands.
7. Choose the job with care: There may be certain jobs that wouldn’t allow you to do justice both to the job and your role as a mum. Avoid taking on such jobs.
8. Involve your husband: Your problems as a working mum can be substantially reduced if your husband understands and helps you out.
9. Don’t worry about lost time: If you proceed on maternity leave, you’re going to have to lose some time, but don’t let that worry you. You can always make up that time later with a bit of hard work.
10. Make yourself the best: If you excel in your job your other disadvantages will disappear, and your employer might even volunteer help.
One final tip. More than likely you’ve got a credit card with a significant balance which isn’t being cleared. So, stop slugging around credit card debt – make moves to shake it or at least move your to one of the decent balance transfer credit cards on the market in order to take advantage of zero percent interest for a few months.